Saturday, November 10, 2012

Grateful

I was chatting with coll J on friday and realized how lucky I am. I was not born to a wealthy family, but at least my parents know that they must push us for our education. I am glad that the people around us had good influence on us. Having uncles who were teachers, doctor, having cousin Bea's family as high achievers. I guess that really influence my parents to understand that education really bring difference in our lives.

Maybe compare to my peers, I do not earn much. However, what I am earning now may be the whole family income of my cousins who just finished their secondary education. It's sad to hear that my niece do not dare to register herself to Chinese high school because the father may not be able to pay for her education there on. I hope she gets her way in to the school. And even if she doesn't, I really wished that she can maintain herself as a high performer in education. I never faced this kind of situation before in my life. Neither my siblings. If we need to study, and we do not have the means, we will stick to government education. I guess it's a choice to make. 

When coll J told me her family was poor and she still headed to TARC for her education, I was quite puzzled. Because STPM doesn't cost you any money at all, maybe just a couple hundreds of examination fees. The question pops up because for me, if I knew that I don't have the money, so choose the cheaper way. There's no need to make your life even harder. End result will still be the same. We get to graduate from university. Maybe my influence comes from cousin Bea's family. Cousin Will and Bea made it to local U  through STPM, without spending much of family's income. But I can understand that coll J's life wasn't that easy. She had gone through quite a lot to be here now. And I am grateful that my parents gave us a comfortable environment and life. Not giving us with any burdens especially financial ones. 

Life is so amazing. People around us always bring new thoughts and insights to us. Open up my mind and allow me to count my blessings. That's the beauty of life and I am glad that I am alive to savour every bit of it :D

No comments: